Like a lone cowboy, Peter Victor was one of the first voices to speak up and lead the way for ecological economics.
The pin factory, about which Adam Smith wrote in 1776, has served since then as an admirable example of the gains in productivity to be had from the division of labour. Although Smith was not writing about the activities of academics his analysis applies just as much to their world as to that of industry. Division of labour among academics has facilitated the extremely intensive study of many aspects of human behaviour and the physical environment in which it takes place. In terms of the increase in our knowledge of the Universe, this specialisation by academics has been highly productive indeed. It is something of a paradox, therefore, that the very process by which we gain knowledge should hinder and even prevent the solution to problems that our studies reveal...
Read Peter Victor's full essay from our very first issue in the pdf here.
- A\J Editorial Board (17) A\J Editorial Board
- A\J Special Delivery (146) A\J Special Delivery
- Backstage at A\J (81) Backstage at A\J
- Current Events (205) Current Events
- EcoLogic (5) EcoLogic
- Food and Culture (22) Food and Culture
- Green Living (30) Green Living
- Made in Canada (20) Made in Canada
- Renewable Energy (52) Renewable Energy
- Shades of Green (10) Shades of Green
- Summer Reading Series (7) Summer Reading Series
- Sustainable A\J (54) Sustainable A\J
- The Green Student (18) The Green Student
- The Mouthful (14) The Mouthful
- The Wild Side (34) The Wild Side
- Think Global (11) Think Global
Popular on A\J
- From Environmental (Soul) Print: "Islamic Cosmology = we are not the centre of the Universe” Read more... https://t.co/Be4bfNVifu — 1 year 1 week ago
- Call for submissions deadline is January 13th to the May 2017 International In-Situ Thermal Treatment symposium. https://t.co/4tb6iRJ2rZ — 1 year 1 week ago
- Interview with Michael Engelhard, author of 'Ice Bear: The Cultural History of an Arctic Icon' https://t.co/1ypJfReqIf — 1 year 1 week ago