This is a slightly modified version of a recipe from Deschutes Brewery in Portland.
Tweeting a photo of these delicious treats at our recent open house at the University of Waterloo Faculty of Environment caught the attention of both students and faculty. They were such a hit that we just had to share the goodness!
- 1 C all purpose flour (takes a gluten-free flour substitute really well)
- 3/4 C unsweetened cocoa powder
- 6 Tbs of room temperature butter
- 8 ounces dark bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 4 large eggs, room temperature (5 if you use gluten-free flour)
- 1 C raw sugar
- 10 ounces local stout beer (Waterloo Union Mills Porter will be available by the tall can at the Brick Brewery while supplies last over the holiday! I used Mill Street Coffee Porter.)
- 1¾ C semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees and butter a 9x13 pan.
- Put the flour and cocoa in a sifter and set aside (or whisk the two together in a medium bowl).
- Melt the butter, 3/4 C of the chocolate chips, and the bittersweet chocolate together in a non-stick pot or double boiler.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar until it gets light and fluffy – around two or three minutes. Add the melted chocolate and beat until combined.
- Sift your flour mixture into your chocolate mixture and mix in the beer. The batter may seem thin but once you start mixing it up it will thicken.
- Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips over the batter, but don't mix them in. Some will sink in, some will stay on top. Pour the batter into your buttered pan and stick it in the oven.
- Bake it for about 25-35 minutes – until a toothpick in the center comes out almost clean. Then cool to room temperature.
- Take to a party and impress all your friends.
- A\J Editorial Board (17) A\J Editorial Board
- A\J Special Delivery (145) A\J Special Delivery
- Backstage at A\J (81) Backstage at A\J
- Current Events (205) Current Events
- EcoLogic (5) EcoLogic
- Food and Culture (22) Food and Culture
- Green Living (29) Green Living
- Made in Canada (20) Made in Canada
- Renewable Energy (52) Renewable Energy
- Shades of Green (10) Shades of Green
- Summer Reading Series (7) Summer Reading Series
- Sustainable A\J (54) Sustainable A\J
- The Green Student (18) The Green Student
- The Mouthful (14) The Mouthful
- The Wild Side (34) The Wild Side
- Think Global (11) Think Global
Popular on A\J
- From Environmental (Soul) Print: "Islamic Cosmology = we are not the centre of the Universe” Read more... https://t.co/Be4bfNVifu — 48 weeks 6 days ago
- Call for submissions deadline is January 13th to the May 2017 International In-Situ Thermal Treatment symposium. https://t.co/4tb6iRJ2rZ — 49 weeks 1 hour ago
- Interview with Michael Engelhard, author of 'Ice Bear: The Cultural History of an Arctic Icon' https://t.co/1ypJfReqIf — 49 weeks 1 hour ago