It’s official, we’ve finally completed an EPIC move to our new wonderful office! As you can imagine, with 44 years of publishing and more than 180 issues under our belts, there was a lot to move.
We are incredibly excited about our new location, right in the heart of Kitchener’s new transit and technology hubs in the area around King, Duke and Victoria Streets. We’re just down the street from Google Canada’s fancy new digs — and we can watch the on-going construction of Waterloo Region’s LRT and other transit infrastructure builds less than a block and a half away. We’re right in the middle of everything and we’re eager to watch as the future unfurls around us!
This move is also a chance for the team at A\J to begin innovating new solutions, new ideas and new solutions to help build a stronger Canadian environmental community. Our building – 283 Duke Street West – was the headquarters of one of Canada’s first big tech success. Electrohome Canada pioneered media solutions for radio in the 1920s and television in the 50s and 60s, and continues to operate as Christie Digital, a global leader in high-tech solutions for the entertainment industry.
More recently, the boxes in which our magazines were shipped probably were manufactured here when the building served as the headquarters of the Boehmer Box Corporation. There are so many small and large connections to the past, to the present and, most importantly, to the future of media, journalism and communications. Ironically, the first issue that we’ll be working on in our new home is "Coming Home," an exploration of the intersection between housing and the environment. We’re inspired by the past and influenced by the future as we do our work in our shiny new office.
As the voice of Canada’s environmental community, we look forward to working with our community partners to foster a truly sustainable society for the betterment of all Canadians. This new office — and the opportunities that it will support — is just the first step in our plans to expand our voice, in print, online and in-person (via events, learning initiatives, etc.). The new office is open and airy, tech-savvy and yet historic; in many ways, a perfect synopsis of where A\J is today and where we plan to be going in the future.
If you are in the Kitchener-Waterloo area, we encourage you to drop us a note and come by for a visit. Our new contact information is as follows:
283 Duke Street West, Suite 204A \ Kitchener, ON N2H 3X7 \ 519-578-2327 (fancy new phone system, too!).
See you soon.
- A\J Editorial Board (17) A\J Editorial Board
- A\J Special Delivery (145) A\J Special Delivery
- Backstage at A\J (81) Backstage at A\J
- Current Events (205) Current Events
- EcoLogic (5) EcoLogic
- Food and Culture (22) Food and Culture
- Green Living (29) Green Living
- Made in Canada (20) Made in Canada
- Renewable Energy (52) Renewable Energy
- Shades of Green (10) Shades of Green
- Summer Reading Series (7) Summer Reading Series
- Sustainable A\J (54) Sustainable A\J
- The Green Student (18) The Green Student
- The Mouthful (14) The Mouthful
- The Wild Side (34) The Wild Side
- Think Global (11) Think Global
Popular on A\J
- From Environmental (Soul) Print: "Islamic Cosmology = we are not the centre of the Universe” Read more... https://t.co/Be4bfNVifu — 48 weeks 6 days ago
- Call for submissions deadline is January 13th to the May 2017 International In-Situ Thermal Treatment symposium. https://t.co/4tb6iRJ2rZ — 49 weeks 5 hours ago
- Interview with Michael Engelhard, author of 'Ice Bear: The Cultural History of an Arctic Icon' https://t.co/1ypJfReqIf — 49 weeks 5 hours ago