Each week, A\J staffers will be sharing our favourite facts & findings from whatever books, articles, documentaries, podcasts and other media we've been consuming. Here’s what we’ve learned this week.
Things from the Internet!
There are 2,621,514 goats in the United States and someone made a map of where they all live.
Source: Jezebel \ Found by Laura
People are losing the ability to hear the sounds of nature because of “Learned Deafness” – their attempt to screen out noise pollution.
Source: The Guardian \ Found by nik
Clouds weigh 1.1 million pounds.
Source: Mental Floss \ Found by Samantha
Things from Books!
The milk in your coffee or tea can account for ⅔ of the total footprint of your caffeine fix. That figure applies when you’re not boiling any extra water, which itself can add 20g CO2 equivalent to your drink (approximately doubling the impact of a black coffee or tea). A large cappuccino or latte has a footprint about 5 times that of an average cup of coffee.
Source: How Bad Are Bananas? The Carbon Footprint of Everything by Mike Berners-lee. @MikeBernersLee \ Found by Laura
Things from Emails!
Over the last decade, the area of organic farmland in the European Union increased by 500,000 hectares each year. Woohoo!
Source: Foodtank newsletter \ Found by Laura
Map of the Week
A new interactive USGS/ESRI ecosystem map of the globe shows Earth’s ecological makeup: minerals and biome for every spot on the world. (The goat map was a strong contender, though.)
Found by nik
MOST BEST THING OF THE WEEK
- A\J Editorial Board (16) A\J Editorial Board
- A\J Special Delivery (142) A\J Special Delivery
- Backstage at A\J (81) Backstage at A\J
- Current Events (203) Current Events
- EcoLogic (5) EcoLogic
- Food and Culture (21) Food and Culture
- Green Living (29) Green Living
- Made in Canada (20) Made in Canada
- Renewable Energy (52) Renewable Energy
- Shades of Green (10) Shades of Green
- Summer Reading Series (7) Summer Reading Series
- Sustainable A\J (54) Sustainable A\J
- The Green Student (18) The Green Student
- The Mouthful (14) The Mouthful
- The Wild Side (34) The Wild Side
- Think Global (11) Think Global
Popular on A\J
- From Environmental (Soul) Print: "Islamic Cosmology = we are not the centre of the Universe” Read more... https://t.co/Be4bfNVifu — 40 weeks 5 days ago
- Call for submissions deadline is January 13th to the May 2017 International In-Situ Thermal Treatment symposium. https://t.co/4tb6iRJ2rZ — 40 weeks 6 days ago
- Interview with Michael Engelhard, author of 'Ice Bear: The Cultural History of an Arctic Icon' https://t.co/1ypJfReqIf — 40 weeks 6 days ago