EACH WEEK, A\J staffers share our favourite facts & findings from whatever books, articles, documentaries, podcasts and other media we've been consuming. Here’s what we’ve learned this week!
Physics of the world’s oldest broken bone pushes the date of land-dwelling animals’ appearance back by 2 million years.
Source: IFLscience.com \ Found by nik
Starting this summer, Duke Energy will build a facility near Epcot that will provide solar power to Walt Disney World. The power plant's 48,000 solar panels will be arranged in the shape of a Mickey Mouse head.
Source: Orlando Sentinel \ Found by Rachel
Politics is for the bees! The Bí Project is aiming to turn signs from the Irish same-sex marriage referendum campaigns into urban beehives in Dublin.
Source: The Irish Times \ Found by nik
Sydney has recently started paving roads with a more environmentally friendly asphalt mix containing recycled printer toner, marking the world’s first commercial use for toner waste.
Source: The Guardian \ Found by Rachel
One of the world’s largest solar plants has been opened in Pakistan with the aim of supplying clean, reliable energy and helping alleviate the country’s chronic power shortages.
Source: Responding to Climate Change \ Found by Rachel
A Dutch start-up called Nerdalize has developed a radiator that stores the heat generated by computer servers to create “data furnaces” that can warm homes and offices.
Source: BBC \ Found by Rachel
A California-based non-profit, GRID Alternatives, plans to give away 1,600 free solar panels to California’s poorest residents by 2016.
Source: Inhabitat.com \ Found by Rachel
In France, a new law was recently passed that mandates all new buildings in commercial zones must partially cover their roofs in either plants or solar panels.
Source: CSGlobe \ Found by Rachel
- A\J Editorial Board (16) A\J Editorial Board
- A\J Special Delivery (142) A\J Special Delivery
- Backstage at A\J (81) Backstage at A\J
- Current Events (203) Current Events
- EcoLogic (5) EcoLogic
- Food and Culture (21) Food and Culture
- Green Living (29) Green Living
- Made in Canada (20) Made in Canada
- Renewable Energy (52) Renewable Energy
- Shades of Green (10) Shades of Green
- Summer Reading Series (7) Summer Reading Series
- Sustainable A\J (54) Sustainable A\J
- The Green Student (18) The Green Student
- The Mouthful (14) The Mouthful
- The Wild Side (34) The Wild Side
- Think Global (11) Think Global
Popular on A\J
- From Environmental (Soul) Print: "Islamic Cosmology = we are not the centre of the Universe” Read more... https://t.co/Be4bfNVifu — 40 weeks 5 days ago
- Call for submissions deadline is January 13th to the May 2017 International In-Situ Thermal Treatment symposium. https://t.co/4tb6iRJ2rZ — 40 weeks 6 days ago
- Interview with Michael Engelhard, author of 'Ice Bear: The Cultural History of an Arctic Icon' https://t.co/1ypJfReqIf — 40 weeks 6 days ago