Mouldy food on the cover? It's the A\J way, says production & graphics coordinator Anežka Gočová:
The conventional treatment for the Food & Drink issue would have been to put some "food porn" on the cover [don't Google that, by the way]. But sticking to our alternative nature, we decided to do the exact opposite. Klaus Pichler's images are really special; you're disturbed but can't look away. They show the reality behind the beautiful food mirage we're presented with in supermarkets.
Not only does over 1/3 of all food get thrown away once it reaches our homes, around 1/3 of fruits and vegetables don't even make it onto store shelves because they're "not pretty enough."
Publisher Marcia Ruby likes the cover because "it's Burtynsky pretty."
Although Pichler's is a close up shot, Ed Burtynsky's aerial images do the same thing: offer a compelling abstract beauty at first glance, and command a further investigative gaze. Remember Burtynsky's famous series of bright red rivers? They were actually nickel tailings from Sudbury [check out "Tailings" on www.edwardburtynsky.com].
The story behind the cover is both fascinating and important. Pichler's bear is chowing down on a delicious looking cake – but wait a minute, that's no normal cake. In fact, it's no cake at all. It is jam that has been purposely rotted to make a point about wasted food. Pichler reeled me in, and now I know that one third of food produced in the world – from primary harvest to processing – is wasted. Knowing this has already made me change the way I manage my food purchasing and consumption. How could we not share this with A\J readers?
Subscribe today to get more photos from Pichler's One Third project, plus all this:
New Canadians welcoming world crops to Ontario soil, why we need to ban GM alfalfa before it's too late, the science behind wine, delicious recipes and more!
Click to view full-size in a new window.
- A\J Editorial Board (17) A\J Editorial Board
- A\J Special Delivery (147) A\J Special Delivery
- Backstage at A\J (81) Backstage at A\J
- Current Events (206) Current Events
- EcoLogic (5) EcoLogic
- Food and Culture (22) Food and Culture
- Green Living (30) Green Living
- Made in Canada (20) Made in Canada
- Renewable Energy (52) Renewable Energy
- Shades of Green (10) Shades of Green
- Summer Reading Series (7) Summer Reading Series
- Sustainable A\J (54) Sustainable A\J
- The Green Student (18) The Green Student
- The Mouthful (14) The Mouthful
- The Wild Side (34) The Wild Side
- Think Global (11) Think Global
Popular on A\J
- From EATING AROUND THE WORLD article: "The long road to sustainability requires rebuilding our communities, and a g… https://t.co/gLTuZ7Rvu5 — 6 days 6 hours ago
- A Valentine's Day (and every day) message from Jane Goodall: "Let us replace impatience and intolerance with unders… https://t.co/1WGML2toyK — 6 days 9 hours ago
- For Valentine's Day: https://t.co/exvDzE2LQf — 6 days 11 hours ago