Concerned Citizens of Brant invite the public to attend 'CELEBRATE OUR WATERS' fundraiser in support of the Paris Pit appeal
On Saturday, November 18th, from 2-5PM, the group Concerned Citizens of Brant (CCOB), with the support of renowned toxocologist Dr. Poh Gek Forkert, will be hosting a book launch/family event/fundraiser to help the group appeal an Environmental Review Tribunal (ERT) ruling against the group's efforts. Click here to learn more and/or to help with a donation.
Dr. Forkert will be promoting her new book 'Fighting Dirty: How a Small Community Took on Big Trash', which encapuslates the experiences of how one small group of farmers, residents and Indigenous people successfully fought one of the world's largest waste disposal companies. Dr. Forkert is a research scientist and toxicologist who has published more than eighty papers (and book chapters) on the metabolism of toxic chemicals.
Like the CCOB's Paris Pit battle, Fighting Dirty is a David-vs-Goliath story. David Suzuki shared that "Fighting Dirty is an inspiring read for all activists battling against the money and power of corporations. It shows that when a small group of determined, commited citizens don't give up, leaders and unexpected opportunities will emerge. When the cause is just, good people can win."
"When the cause is just, good people can win." - David Suzuki
While many A\J readers may be familiar with the legal machinations involved in the fight against the Melancton 'Mega Quarry', this battle to protect a community's groundwater has been much less publicized, which is why the organizers of the CELEBRATE OUR WATERS event are hoping to solicit support from a broad coalition of local and regional citizens and activists to continue their work to protect their lands and their water.
If you would like to attend this event or learn more, please contact Anne Ehrlich, event spokesperson, at 519-442-2399.
- A\J Editorial Board (17) A\J Editorial Board
- A\J Special Delivery (149) A\J Special Delivery
- Backstage at A\J (83) Backstage at A\J
- Current Events (208) Current Events
- EcoLogic (5) EcoLogic
- Food and Culture (22) Food and Culture
- Green Living (30) Green Living
- Made in Canada (20) Made in Canada
- Renewable Energy (52) Renewable Energy
- Shades of Green (10) Shades of Green
- Summer Reading Series (7) Summer Reading Series
- Sustainable A\J (54) Sustainable A\J
- The Green Student (18) The Green Student
- The Mouthful (14) The Mouthful
- The Wild Side (34) The Wild Side
- Think Global (11) Think Global
Popular on A\J
- From EATING AROUND THE WORLD article: "The long road to sustainability requires rebuilding our communities, and a g… https://t.co/gLTuZ7Rvu5 — 9 weeks 23 hours ago
- A Valentine's Day (and every day) message from Jane Goodall: "Let us replace impatience and intolerance with unders… https://t.co/1WGML2toyK — 9 weeks 1 day ago
- For Valentine's Day: https://t.co/exvDzE2LQf — 9 weeks 1 day ago