On October 4, in more than 30 countries, and as many as 160 cities, more than 20,000 people took to the streets to make a strong and diverse call to save the Arctic, celebrating the top of our world and the public demand for its protection.
#IceRide took place from from Canada to Bulgaria, from Chile to Bangladesh, from Bergen over Bogota to the Balearic Islands. Cities in Canada included Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver.
This movement calls for a really new approach to the Arctic, and the creation of a protected Sanctuary around the North Pole for the Arctic's marine life and iconic animals such as polar bears and walruses.
Supporters want to see bold action to deal with the warming temperatures that are heating up the Arctic faster than any other place on the planet and are asking for oil companies and destructive fisheries to be banned from the entire Arctic Ocean.
Here are some of the best photos from Canadian Ice Ride events. Send us your own, or share them on social media using the #IceRide hashtag!
Ice Ride in Vancouver
West Coast Ice Ride photos © Greenpeace.
Ice Ride in Toronto
Over 100 people participated in the Toronto Ice Ride this year. Toronto photos © Vanessa Garrison \ Greenpeace.
Ice Ride in Montréal
Montréal Photos © Toma Iczkovits \ Greenpeace.
- A\J Editorial Board (16) A\J Editorial Board
- A\J Special Delivery (142) A\J Special Delivery
- Backstage at A\J (81) Backstage at A\J
- Current Events (203) Current Events
- EcoLogic (5) EcoLogic
- Food and Culture (21) Food and Culture
- Green Living (29) Green Living
- Made in Canada (20) Made in Canada
- Renewable Energy (52) Renewable Energy
- Shades of Green (10) Shades of Green
- Summer Reading Series (7) Summer Reading Series
- Sustainable A\J (54) Sustainable A\J
- The Green Student (18) The Green Student
- The Mouthful (14) The Mouthful
- The Wild Side (34) The Wild Side
- Think Global (11) Think Global
Popular on A\J
- From Environmental (Soul) Print: "Islamic Cosmology = we are not the centre of the Universe” Read more... https://t.co/Be4bfNVifu — 40 weeks 5 days ago
- Call for submissions deadline is January 13th to the May 2017 International In-Situ Thermal Treatment symposium. https://t.co/4tb6iRJ2rZ — 40 weeks 6 days ago
- Interview with Michael Engelhard, author of 'Ice Bear: The Cultural History of an Arctic Icon' https://t.co/1ypJfReqIf — 40 weeks 6 days ago