Last year was a pivotal year for the environment, marking change and action for the environmental movement through the Paris Agreement at COP21, the end of the Keystone XL pipeline and Pope Francis’ encyclical on the environment. While it was a year to celebrate, it was also a year that raised environmental concerns. NASA concluded that it was the hottest year on record, with human influence and activity as the main driver for global rising temperatures.
The upcoming years will test and challenge the environmental victories of 2015. It’s time to start cultivating voices, creating conversations and empowering youth to speak up for the environment. We are the future leaders, decision-makers and problem solvers for the next generation. The world’s biggest environmental challenges will be placed on our shoulders and we need to be informed.
Five years ago, the Green Student was created with the intent of providing environment students a forum to share their writing, campaigns and events. As environmental challenges become more prominent, we’ve revitalized the Green Student to extend opportunities and platforms to engage and empower students. Through the Green Student, we will continue to encourage student action and involvement, using student writing to share new environmental research, campaigns, events, and ways to connect with communities.
With the continued support of Alternatives Journal, the Green Student is going bigger and extending our reach, getting various perspectives of the environment from all students. Environment is a multi-faceted issue, and students from all over the world in every academic discipline need to be part of the conversation.
As we settle in to our old home, we’re looking for new writers and volunteers! We’re inviting proposals on any topic related to the environment. If you would like to contribute to the Green Student, we are accepting submissions, for short, well-researched and thought-provoking content for our website. This includes (but is not exclusive to), reports, reviews, short essays, interviews, news coverage and analysis, photos, and illustration.
Contribute to the Green Student by filling out the submission form.
If you’re interested but aren’t sure what to write about, send us an email with your interests and we’ll be happy to help you narrow down a potential topic.
- A\J Editorial Board (14) A\J Editorial Board
- A\J Special Delivery (92) A\J Special Delivery
- Backstage at A\J (71) Backstage at A\J
- Current Events (195) Current Events
- EcoLogic (5) EcoLogic
- Food and Culture (21) Food and Culture
- Green Living (26) Green Living
- Made in Canada (19) Made in Canada
- Renewable Energy (52) Renewable Energy
- Shades of Green (8) Shades of Green
- Sustainable A\J (54) Sustainable A\J
- The Green Student (18) The Green Student
- The Mouthful (14) The Mouthful
- The Wild Side (34) The Wild Side
- Think Global (10) Think Global
Popular on A\J
- In two weeks: launch of A\J SUMMER READING series. Web-exclusive stories about protecting our great outdoors. alternativesjournal.ca — 2 weeks 12 hours ago
- 'Believe This', how the environmentally-minded person can sustain their faith and hope https://t.co/04L0ZlwVfe https://t.co/6Tg1t9XIUM — 2 weeks 16 hours ago
- It's Week in Review time, highlighting the top environmental news stories of the week! https://t.co/nNzPSBtU3U — 2 weeks 4 days ago