Open Mind Developments Corporation (OMD) is reimagining conventional plastic as flaxstic. Flaxstic mixes flax fibre and shive from flax straw (an agricultural waste product) with biopolymers made from renewable non-food crops. OMD is making a biodegradable and compostable smartphone case from the material.
Both the flax and biopolymers make flaxstic less impactful than conventional plastics. The lightweight and shock absorbent flax is already grown in Saskatchewan for its oilseed, while biopolymers generate 60 per cent less CO2 emissions than traditional polymers and require about 50 per cent less non-renewable energy to produce.
OMD is based out of Saskatchewan and provides farmers with an outlet for their waste, along with creating local manufacturing and processing opportunities. Some of their proceeds also fund the research and development of other ecological plastic alternatives. Their project is partially supported by the Canadian Agricultural Adaptation Program as well as the Saskatchewan Agri-Value Initiative, and is delivered by the Agriculture Council of Saskatchewan.
The PELA Case for the 4/4S and iPhone 5 don’t look like conventional plastic. As put by OMD, “it isn’t conventional plastic, and that’s the point.” The idea is to reframe the public perception of eco-friendly plastic and promote its integration into the market place.
According to OMD, the average consumer keeps their smartphone about 16 months – leaving the discarded technologies, and their cases, to pollute landfills for thousands of years. OMD saw a problem in need of a smart solution. Check out this review of PELA’s iPhone 4 case.
Flaxtic is currently being used for solid plastic products and OMD is planning on expanding into foam and hollow plastic products.
As flaxtic fans, A\J wanted to share the PELA story and give readers a chance to win an iPhone 5 PELA case. Share this post on Facebook or tweet it to us @AlternativesJ by February 28 to be entered in the draw. (Make sure you mention us when you do so we can enter your name!)
- A\J Editorial Board (13) A\J Editorial Board
- A\J Special Delivery (69) A\J Special Delivery
- Backstage at A\J (65) Backstage at A\J
- Current Events (130) Current Events
- EcoLogic (4) EcoLogic
- Food and Culture (19) Food and Culture
- Green Living (22) Green Living
- Made in Canada (17) Made in Canada
- Renewable Energy (49) Renewable Energy
- Sustainable A\J (51) Sustainable A\J
- The Green Student (17) The Green Student
- The Mouthful (14) The Mouthful
- The Wild Side (32) The Wild Side
- Think Global (8) Think Global
Popular on A\J
- Lies and deception are the forefront of Malaysian oil companies, but what about in Canada? http://t.co/yzdKIkBM60 — 13 hours 13 min ago
- Urgent requests to combine the 2015 election with environmental thinking at #ESAC2015 @elizabethmay @JohnMcKayLib http://t.co/2tgWeL2XyN — 22 hours 23 min ago
- Lying oil companies in Malaysia #falsescience http://t.co/7S6DXAPw90 — 23 hours 18 min ago