Saint Mary's University
- Biology (BSc, MASc)
- Environmental Science (BSc, MASc)
- Environmental Studies (BES)
- Geography (BA, BSc, MA, MASc)
- Geology (BSc, MASc)
Co-op option: Yes
Why Go Here?
SMU offers a rich, supportive environment with an average class size of 40 students. The School of Environment offers interdisciplinary degree programs. Environmental Science and Studies students can also pursue double-majors in Biology, Chemistry, Geology or Geography. Campus features a green roof, living wall and outdoor observatory.
Undergraduates can easily get involved in the research unfolding at SMU, which primarily involves coastal and marine issues like erosion, climate change and coastal fisheries. SMU offers many experiential learning opportunities, labs, co-ops, travel abroad programs and research opportunities. The school's facilities include an outdoor learning space for hands on experience with wildlife.
The Environmental Society organizes movie screenings, lectures and Halifax’s largest garage sale. SMU also has a community garden on campus. Environmental initiatives include park and beach cleanups, organic bakesales, Sustainability Week and Wilderness Aid. On Muggy Mondays students with reusable mugs can get free coffee.
Best Natural Feature
SMU is located in Halifax, a port city overlooking the Atlantic Ocean, known for its rich history and natural beauty.
- From EATING AROUND THE WORLD article: "The long road to sustainability requires rebuilding our communities, and a g… https://t.co/gLTuZ7Rvu5 — 22 weeks 20 hours ago
- A Valentine's Day (and every day) message from Jane Goodall: "Let us replace impatience and intolerance with unders… https://t.co/1WGML2toyK — 22 weeks 23 hours ago
- For Valentine's Day: https://t.co/exvDzE2LQf — 22 weeks 1 day ago