Wilfrid Laurier University
- Biology (BSc, MSc, PhD)
- Biology & Physical Geography (BSc)
- Biology: Environmental Science (BSc)
- Chemistry: Environmental Science (BSc)
- Environmental Studies (BA, BES) (co-op)
- Geography (BA, BSc, MA, MES, MSc, PhD) (co-op)
- Geography & Geomatics (BSc)
- Geography & Environmental Science (BSc)
Co-op option: Yes
Why Go Here?
WLU’s Sustainability Action Plan integrates stewardship principles through educational and community activities. The "Think Global, Act Local" Residence Learning Community allows collaboration with like-minded peers interested in a sustainable lifestyle. Small class sizes and a strong sense of community that encourages a welcoming and enthusiastic environment. An exceptionally advanced recycling and organics program has facilitated the university's 63% waste diversion rate. The program includes department central waste centres, organic bins all over campus and the use of biodegradable ecotakeout containers for food services.
Geography and Environmental Studies students both have access to field courses, including day-trips and a two-week trip to the Dechinta Centre for Research and Learning in the Northwest Territories. Overseas study exchanges are also available. Co-op programs connect students with summer jobs throughout Waterloo and across Canada.
Ecohawks is a student group that promotes environmentally friendly living in the WLU community. First year students can join Sustainability Council, a subsection of Residence Life that promotes sustainability in WLU's residence buildings. Other groups that tackle environmental projects include the Laurier Campus Greens, Net Impact, Laurier Farm Market and WLU Bike Network.
Community Gardens including the Northdale Garden and the Mino-Kummik Community Garden encourage local food production and provide excellent community space. The school also partners with Young City Growers to sell bushels of fresh veggies and herbs each week.
- From EATING AROUND THE WORLD article: "The long road to sustainability requires rebuilding our communities, and a g… https://t.co/gLTuZ7Rvu5 — 4 weeks 6 days ago
- A Valentine's Day (and every day) message from Jane Goodall: "Let us replace impatience and intolerance with unders… https://t.co/1WGML2toyK — 4 weeks 6 days ago
- For Valentine's Day: https://t.co/exvDzE2LQf — 5 weeks 1 hour ago