Environmental education has become more important than ever. A\J aspires to help build a stronger, more vibrant environmental community by engaging with Canada’s top academic institutions, thinkers, researchers, professors and students.
Starting in December 2013, we're putting copies of A\J in the hands of thousands of Environmental Studies students across Canada, providing real-world examples of applied sustainability concepts alongside peer-reviewed research and analysis to help tomorrow's leaders envision and work toward a more sustainable future.
We’ve also created an academic coordinator position to develop new relationships in classes and on campuses across the country, and we've expanded our annual Canadian Environmental Education Guide to make it more comprehensive and useful. We've also stepped up the offerings and benefits of A\J’s Sponsoring Subscriber program.
Why use A\J on Campus
Alternatives Journal offers both a vision of a more sustainable future and the tools needed to move us there. We provide professors and students with real-world examples of applied sustainability concepts and the theoretical context to understand their value. We help bridge the gap between educators and students, engaging both in the learning process by bringing the bigger picture to life. Perhaps most importantly, A\J thrives on its contributions from both student and academic journalists.
How to use A\J on Campus
The magazine has more than 40 years of back issues that cover a range of environmental concerns and challenges. Back issues can be bundled or used individually, and we can also provide customized reading packages. In addition to our Sponsoring Subscriber program, we offer a consultation service for educators who are unsure of what articles to include or how to integrate A\J into course materials.
We look forward to collaborating with you and helping to find solutions to your specific needs. Please contact our academic coordinator at academics[at]alternativesjournal.ca for more information about integrating A\J on campus. We’d also appreciate any and all input on the development of our academic resources.
Benefits of Integrating A\J
- Shape editorial voice through student advisory board
- Online platform for discussion and social engagement
- Access to A\J's network of job events, honouraria, etc.
- Tools for reflection and action
- Engage students with new media
- Supporting Canadian environmental research
- Promote institution to prospective students
- Support green job network, supporting future enrolment
- Position as leader in Canadian environmental movement
Mary-Louise McAlister, Faculty of Environment Teaching Fellow at the University of Waterloo:
I have used Alternatives in my courses for many years, and its inclusion is something that has always been appreciated by the students. The journal serves as an important bridge between the theoretical considerations raised in class (and other academic readings) and current sustainability issues that our students are being educated to address. Alternatives provides contemporary examples that engages students’ attention and provides lively material for class debates. As the name indicates, the journal offers the students alternative ways of thinking about how sustainability challenges might be addressed, here in Canada and around the world. The journal is also supplemented by a sophisticated and up-to-date website that offers podcasts and other material related to the topic at hand provided very useful material for class or individual projects. A/J is a valuable, and affordable, resource that can enhance and enliven a diversity of environmental studies courses.
Steve Krysak, Marketing and Recruitment Specialist, Faculty of Environment at the University of Waterloo:
By being a sponsoring subscriber of Alternatives, the University of Waterloo and the Faculty of Environment has been able to reach out to a wider group of people interested in environmental action- the passion for the environment starts in education.
- Alternatives Journal works to represent the environment in the most macro sense possible. Which is why we were thri… https://t.co/tDpzLCyUpm — 16 hours 1 min ago
- Voila, the #TrashtagChallenge! A unique way to get the #globalcommunity to clean up their local environments. Find… https://t.co/yGznZvs9Ca — 3 days 13 hours ago
- This is the type of movement that sends shivers up your spine and pride that soars into the skies. Amazing work by… https://t.co/aGzUjTFhzL — 4 days 17 hours ago