Each week, A\J staffers will be sharing our favourite facts & findings from whatever books, articles, documentaries, podcasts and other media we've been consuming. Here’s what we’ve learned this week.
Things from the Internet!
Stockholm’s newest parking garage is only for bikes!
Source: Fast Company \ Found by nik
The deepest hole on Earth was drilled over a period of 24 years and is 12 kilometres deep – that’s deeper than the lowest point of the ocean!
Source: atlasobscura \ Found by Samantha
While Samantha’s heart has beat 800 million times in her life so far, a hummingbird’s has beat 13 billion times!
Source: BBC Earth – Your Life on Earth \ Found by Samantha
Avocados have the least pesticides: only 1 percent of samples tested by EWG showed any detectable pesticides. (Apples, peaches, nectarines, strawberries, grapes, celery, spinach, sweet bell peppers, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, imported snap peas and potatoes have the most pesticides.)
Source: EWG's 2015 Shopper's Guide to Pesticides in Produce™ \ Found by Laura
Things from Podcasts!
Canada and the US are the only two countries in the world that regularly embalm their dead, and our burial habits use a lot of resources. In a typical North American cemetery, 10 acres hold "enough coffin wood to fully rebuild 40 homes, enough embalming compound to fill a small backyard swimming pool, 200 tons of concrete, and 1,000 tons of steel." Every year, there's enough concrete used in US burial vaults to "build a two-lane highway halfway across the US" and enough metal in caskets to "completely rebuild the Golden Gate Bridge."
Source: Mark Harris, author of Grave Matters, on CBC Radio’s Ideas \ Found by Laura
Check out the Natural Burial Association for other options, if you're so inclined. Other options: biourns make your ashes grow into a tree. Your ashes can also be turned into corals!
Sources: Bios Urn and Eternal Reefs \ Found by Samantha
Things from Documentaries!
African wild dogs are co-operative hunters – they communicate with each other to track down one prey that they all share. It took the Planet Earth crew days just to be able to film a few minutes of their hunting practices, with a camera that can zoom in from kilometres away!
Source: Planet Earth: From Pole to Pole documentary \ Found by Samantha
Things from Books!
A 30-minute walk burns about as many calories as you'll consume in a glass of wine or beer (120-180 calories, depending on your weight; 5 oz of red wine is 123 calories and 12 oz of beer is 153 calories). Walking for 30 minutes a day, five times a week can improve your blood pressure by five points and cuts your odds of catching a cold in half.
Source: Why I Walk by Kevin Klinkenberg \ Found by Laura
33 per cent of land across the globe is moderately to highly degraded from erosion, salinization, compaction, acidification and chemical pollution. The irony is that the main culprit of soil degradation is the thing that most relies on healthy soil: agriculture.
Source: The Mouthful, A\J's food blog
Quiz of the Week
Our managing editor is "tiny house curious," according to this quiz from Yerdle. What's your tiny house personality?
Found by Laura
- A\J Editorial Board (19) A\J Editorial Board
- A\J Special Delivery (185) A\J Special Delivery
- Backstage at A\J (87) Backstage at A\J
- Current Events (216) Current Events
- EcoLogic (16) EcoLogic
- Food and Culture (29) Food and Culture
- Green Living (36) Green Living
- Made in Canada (23) Made in Canada
- Renewable Energy (59) Renewable Energy
- Shades of Green (15) Shades of Green
- Summer Reading Series (8) Summer Reading Series
- Sustainable A\J (58) Sustainable A\J
- The Green Student (19) The Green Student
- The Mouthful (14) The Mouthful
- The Wild Side (44) The Wild Side
- Think Global (21) Think Global
- Turtle Island Solidarity Journey 2018 (4) Turtle Island Solidarity Journey 2018
Popular on A\J
- RT @AlternativesJ: Have questions about #COP25? A\J has a correspondent at the Conference right now. Send us your questions by respond… https://t.co/XJDzkX11oq — 6 weeks 4 days ago
- RT @MediaENV: #InternationalVolunteerDay may have been yesterday, but that doesn't mean we still couldn't use some help! Do you… https://t.co/dU9JdNipXO — 7 weeks 22 hours ago
- Do you want to turn your passion into action? A\J and @MediaENV are looking for volunteers! Volunteers make a huge… https://t.co/HIp1KVGzks — 7 weeks 22 hours ago