EACH WEEK, A\J staffers share our favourite facts & findings from whatever books, articles, documentaries, podcasts and other media we've been consuming. Here’s what we’ve learned this week!
Things from the Internet!
An international committee of taxonomists has chosen their top ten species discovered in 2014 from more than 18,000 choices! Highlights include a species of spider that cartwheels and a feathered dinosaur with chicken-like features.
Source: The ESF Top 10 New Species for 2015 \ Found by Jordan
Walk Score recently released its annual list of America’s most cycling-friendly cities, with Cambridge, Massachusetts, taking the the top spot. The company takes into account bike-lane availability, plus the number of hills in a city, bike-commuting rates, and how often bikers have to de-saddle along their routes, among other factors.
Source: Grist \ Found by Rachel
A study by researchers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) recently concluded that solar energy holds the best potential for meeting the planet's long-term energy needs while reducing greenhouse gases.
Source: Computerworld \ Found by Rachel
According to a new study led by Yale University, worms and other small soil-dwelling animals act as a buffer against climate change by feeding on microbes that release carbon dioxide from decaying organic matter.
Source: Al Jazeera America \ Found by Rachel
Things from Videos!
A time-lapse video shows how bees develop, from larvae to when they hatch.
Source: National Geographic \ Found by Rachel
- A\J Editorial Board (19) A\J Editorial Board
- A\J Special Delivery (185) A\J Special Delivery
- Backstage at A\J (87) Backstage at A\J
- Current Events (216) Current Events
- EcoLogic (16) EcoLogic
- Food and Culture (29) Food and Culture
- Green Living (36) Green Living
- Made in Canada (23) Made in Canada
- Renewable Energy (59) Renewable Energy
- Shades of Green (15) Shades of Green
- Summer Reading Series (8) Summer Reading Series
- Sustainable A\J (58) Sustainable A\J
- The Green Student (19) The Green Student
- The Mouthful (14) The Mouthful
- The Wild Side (44) The Wild Side
- Think Global (21) Think Global
- Turtle Island Solidarity Journey 2018 (4) Turtle Island Solidarity Journey 2018
Popular on A\J
- RT @AlternativesJ: Have questions about #COP25? A\J has a correspondent at the Conference right now. Send us your questions by respond… https://t.co/XJDzkX11oq — 4 days 2 hours ago
- RT @MediaENV: #InternationalVolunteerDay may have been yesterday, but that doesn't mean we still couldn't use some help! Do you… https://t.co/dU9JdNipXO — 1 week 5 hours ago
- Do you want to turn your passion into action? A\J and @MediaENV are looking for volunteers! Volunteers make a huge… https://t.co/HIp1KVGzks — 1 week 5 hours ago