The Windfall Ecology Festival is happening in Newmarket, Ontario on Saturday June 8th and Sunday June 9th, on the banks of the Holland River in Fairy Lake Park, from 10am to 5pm each day. Stop by and experience the many eco exhibits, taste local food and much more.
Check out the main stage on Saturday to catch The Elwins, an indie group native to Ontario, just back from their UK tour. Be sure to visit again on Sunday to see headliner David Henman of April Wine, also on the main stage. Graydon James & The Young Novelists, Ainsworth, Marie Lynn Hammond, Mollie Fisher, The Socials and Bianca Rollo will also be performing at the festival.
Windfall will also feature a series of “Eco Exhibits.” For those considering a more energy-efficient home, check out the Home Energy and Green Renovation vendors. Interested in electric vehicle technologies? On Friday, June 7th, Windfall Centre is hosting an electric mobility conference, and will be bringing some of that information and exhibits to the Windfall Ecology Festival the next day! There will be electric cars to test drive, and industry experts will be there to answer any questions you might have.
The Windfall Ecology Festival will also present a variety of chefs who will show visitors how to think locally and organically when it comes to food. The culinary program features professional chefs Claudio Briones, Kanaad Thaktar, Kristen Bethel Lépine and Laurie-Ann Fisher.
There will also be eco-parenting workshops throughout the weekend, hosted by Green Moms Collective, Bebo Mia, ContractHer and Pure Simple Living. The workshops will revolve around keeping a more eco-friendly home and family.
Get your e-waste and eaves troughs ready
If you have any old electronics lying around, cart them over when you visit the festival. The Ontario Electronic Stewardship will be there all weekend to help you recycle them safely.
The Ecology Festival will also be selling rain barrels at $60, $50 if you pre-order. Each barrel is equipped with a leaf and mosquito filter basket, an overflow adaptor that permits multiple barrels to be connected in series, 1.2 meters of overflow hose (more may be purchased if needed), and a spigot for attaching a garden hose. You can pick yours up at the festival from 10:00am to 4:00pm on both June 8th and 9th.
Rain barrels help you lower your water consumption by reusing rainwater for outdoor purposes, such as lawns and gardens. They also reduce urban water runoff, therefore preserving water quality in lakes, rivers and other bodies of water.
Not just for grown-ups
Drop in with the whole family, and the little ones will be sure to enjoy the Kids’ Zones set up throughout the park. Learn how to make nutrient-rich fertilizer from garbage at the Family Stage: Cathy’s Crawly Composters will be teaching you how to do vermicomposting – composting with Red Wiggler worms. Or spend some quality time with an array of rare and endangered animals with Hands On Exotics. The animal show will take place on Sunday, June 9th, and is not worth missing.
- A\J Editorial Board (19) A\J Editorial Board
- A\J Special Delivery (185) A\J Special Delivery
- Backstage at A\J (87) Backstage at A\J
- Current Events (216) Current Events
- EcoLogic (16) EcoLogic
- Food and Culture (29) Food and Culture
- Green Living (36) Green Living
- Made in Canada (23) Made in Canada
- Renewable Energy (59) Renewable Energy
- Shades of Green (15) Shades of Green
- Summer Reading Series (8) Summer Reading Series
- Sustainable A\J (58) Sustainable A\J
- The Green Student (19) The Green Student
- The Mouthful (14) The Mouthful
- The Wild Side (44) The Wild Side
- Think Global (21) Think Global
- Turtle Island Solidarity Journey 2018 (4) Turtle Island Solidarity Journey 2018
Popular on A\J
- Check out an exclusive preview of our upcoming Invest in Change issue, where @LeahGerbs reports on Jane Goodall and… https://t.co/ANCrk6kdoC — 1 day 16 min ago
- RT @AlternativesJ: Have questions about #COP25? A\J has a correspondent at the Conference right now. Send us your questions by respond… https://t.co/XJDzkX11oq — 7 weeks 1 day ago
- RT @MediaENV: #InternationalVolunteerDay may have been yesterday, but that doesn't mean we still couldn't use some help! Do you… https://t.co/dU9JdNipXO — 7 weeks 4 days ago