Blanding's Turtle. Photo: Benimoto \ Flickr.com
It’s dispiriting when newly rival factions of the environmental movement clash over what has become a touchy subject in green circles. Worse when disagreements end up in the justice system.
Yet that’s exactly what played out this week in a Toronto appeals court.
In an issue the media have dubbed "turtles versus turbines," the Prince Edward County Field Naturalists (PECFN), a group often led publicly by outspoken grandmother and wildlife advocate Myrna Wood, found themselves in court this week defending a landmark decision from the Environmental Review Tribunal in July, 2013 which halted a renewable energy project at Ostrander Point near Kingston. The tribunal pointed to the unacceptable impact the development of a 22.5 megawatt wind farm would have on the provincially and federally threatened Blanding’s turtle as justification.
The fact that Wood and PECFN are still in court is a victory in its own right, mind you. Few imagined the tribunal, the members of whom are appointed by the provincial government, would overturn a wind project from developer Gilead Power because of concerns over wildlife impacts. Never mind the proposed wind farm was situated on a globally recognized Important Bird Area – it already had Ministry of Environment approval. It was a done deal. And besides – the tribunal had never rejected a renewable energy approval (REA) for environmental or human health reasons before. Ever.
Read the rest of the controversial story at The Reeves Report.
- A\J Editorial Board (19) A\J Editorial Board
- A\J Special Delivery (186) A\J Special Delivery
- Backstage at A\J (87) Backstage at A\J
- Current Events (216) Current Events
- EcoLogic (16) EcoLogic
- Food and Culture (29) Food and Culture
- Green Living (36) Green Living
- Made in Canada (23) Made in Canada
- Renewable Energy (59) Renewable Energy
- Shades of Green (15) Shades of Green
- Summer Reading Series (8) Summer Reading Series
- Sustainable A\J (58) Sustainable A\J
- The Green Student (19) The Green Student
- The Mouthful (14) The Mouthful
- The Wild Side (44) The Wild Side
- Think Global (21) Think Global
- Turtle Island Solidarity Journey 2018 (4) Turtle Island Solidarity Journey 2018
Popular on A\J
- RT @PLT_Canada: It's another #ForestFridays and we're sharing our latest article with @AlternativesJ Perfect reading for this Fri… https://t.co/dfBkynNLZZ — 6 days 11 hours ago
- Trash Talk: Confessions of a waste auditor is now live on AJ. You don’t want to miss this anonymous confession piec… https://t.co/c3va0KbsBR — 1 week 1 day ago
- RT @PLT_Canada: As we roll into the weekend, check out our latest publication with @AlternativesJ 📓 Written by our Director of Ind… https://t.co/nnZVcAxm1K — 1 week 6 days ago