With the anticipation for this year’s biggest climate change negotiations rising, people are finding new ways to be involved with COP21. The 11th edition of the Mobile Film Festival, an official event of this year’s COP21, was an opportunity for anyone with a smartphone to have their say on climate change and a chance to win a grand prize of 30,000€ by a jury led by Academy Award nominated filmmaker Fernando Meirelles.
The rules remained the same: one mobile, one minute, one movie. The films had to involve topics of climate change to relate to COP21. On December 7 awards will be handed out in Paris as part of the COP21! Until November 30, 2015, people from around the world can vote for their favorite film on their website.
Bruno Smadja, the festival’s creator, said that the partnership with the United Nations for COP21 “provides greater value and meaning to the festival.” Through this he said the festival will be giving “a chance to young filmmakers to participate in the most important conference on climate change,” a subject he says “directly affects their generation.”
With 765 submissions from 70 different countries, 75 films were chosen with filmmakers from 27 different countries. These short films were not meant to be expensive or time consuming. Organizers aimed to create a festival “where talent, creativity and hard work would count more than budget and industry connections.”
Participants were asked to create movies that would “amaze, inspire and move” spectators. These simple yet thought-provoking films show viewers what climate change means to someone on the other side of the world. Some of their comic and horrific tales of the future force viewers to reconsider daily actives that contribute to climate change.
View all submissions here.
- A\J Editorial Board (19) A\J Editorial Board
- A\J Special Delivery (162) A\J Special Delivery
- Backstage at A\J (87) Backstage at A\J
- Current Events (215) Current Events
- EcoLogic (12) EcoLogic
- Food and Culture (28) Food and Culture
- Green Living (35) Green Living
- Made in Canada (22) Made in Canada
- Renewable Energy (59) Renewable Energy
- Shades of Green (13) Shades of Green
- Summer Reading Series (8) Summer Reading Series
- Sustainable A\J (57) Sustainable A\J
- The Green Student (19) The Green Student
- The Mouthful (14) The Mouthful
- The Wild Side (43) The Wild Side
- Think Global (16) Think Global
- Turtle Island Solidarity Journey 2018 (4) Turtle Island Solidarity Journey 2018
Popular on A\J
- Why Sharks Matter | A\J – Canada's Environmental Voice https://t.co/fRbTzVxJQr — 14 hours 33 min ago
- Are Toronto's would-be waterfront condo dwellers being kept in the dark about the flood risks of living near the mo… https://t.co/kxNyOHbdqd — 4 weeks 6 days ago
- ICYMI » UBC researchers explore how we can set aside half the planet's land without compromising our ability to gro… https://t.co/71ih3xApWm — 5 weeks 1 day ago