Community

A Greener Way To Go: Exploring Environmentally Friendly Death Practices

The environmental impacts of death are just as important as life’s environmental impacts, but death is often overlooked in environmental actions. This oversight is typically due to cultural discomfort with death, resulting in a lack of environmental considerations when it comes time to plan for a funeral/burial. So, since death […]

A Being in Nature: How the Mourning Dove’s Call of Inspiration Quieted My Busy Mind

The Power of Taking a Walk Around the Block Over the past week or so, my world has been very high-energy, productive, and busy, busy, busy! I have been maximizing my time at A\J by writing, thinking, creating, editing, and giving as much of myself to my work as I […]

Fighting Fire with Fire

Recently, we came across Wallin Snowdon’s CBC article entitled “Fighting forest fires with fire: Pyrotechnics and flaming Ping-Pong balls” (June 22, 2020). What piqued our interest was that it discusses interesting techniques of fighting wildfires from a unique and counterintuitive prospective – fighting fire, with fire! This news article is […]

The Summer of the Flying Fish

The Summer of the Flying Fish is a Chilean-French coproduction directed by Marcela Said. It premiered at Cannes Film Festival (2013) and won awards at the Cinema en Construction in Toulouse, La Habana Film Festival, and the RiverRun International Film Festival. The story unfolds as Manena, a young teenage girl, […]

Why is it Vital to Conserve Rivers?

Water is necessary for humans, but where does that water come from? The world’s rivers have been degraded by humans so drastically that the water security of approximately 5 billion people and the survival of thousands of aquatic species are at risk. Rivers are home to ~0.5% of our freshwater […]

A Letter from the Chair

Welcome, welcome, welcome to A\J’s new website! We are so glad you are here, whether it is your first time discovering our magazine or whether you’ve been a vital part of our long journey somewhere along the way.  Alternatives Journal (A\J) has been independently publishing intelligent, informed, and inspiring environmental […]

In Memory of David Schindler

On March 4th, 2021, Canada lost one of its most influential environmental scientists, David Schindler. Schindler was a champion of freshwater science, and a leading environmental advocate and conservationist. His research focused on freshwater ecosystems and water contaminants from industry development. Schindler achieved many accomplishments in his 50+ year career. […]

A Letter from the Chair

Welcome, welcome, welcome to A\J’s new website! We are so glad you are here, whether it is your first time discovering our magazine or whether you’ve been a vital part of our long journey somewhere along the way.  Alternatives Journal (A\J) has been independently publishing intelligent, informed, and inspiring environmental […]