- Biology (BSc)
- Environmental Science (BSc) (co-op)
- Geography (BA, BSc) (co-op)
- Geology (BSc)
- Rural & Community Studies (MRD, Grad Diploma)
Co-op option: Yes
Why Go Here?
Brandon University is a rural-based university with strong national and international links. The Rural Development Institute is a not-for-profit research and development which promotes community development and resiliency. Students are encouraged to engage with the local community. The School's interdisciplinary Environmental Science program addresses relevant issues such as climate change, resource management and wildlife protection.
Many courses include field study components for practical experience. Undergrad projects prepare students for professional practice, including work placements with a BU professor, Parks Canada, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, or Manitoba Conservation. Students can earn additional course credits by working with these agencies during summer internships or co-op placements. The RDI facilitiates student involvement in multi-disciplinary research projects.
Students are eligible for Environment Professional Certification through ECO-Canada. The student-led Green Futures program runs a community garden initiative. The campus has a strong recycling program and sets high conservation standards for new buildings. In 2011 the Student's Union organized free bus use within Brandon for all BU students.
Best Natural Feature
The front of Clark Hall on the east side of campus holds a row of beautiful Colorado blue spruce trees. Prairie, aspen parkland and riparian ecosystems can be found throughout Brandon City. Just a short drive from town are several provinicial parks and forests, as well as boreal forest and sand hill ecosystems that give students and researchers unique oppertunities for field study and investigation.
- In honour of #PlasticFreeJuly take a quick read about impact of microplastics! 🌍🐠 https://t.co/wtVi4mWdEI https://t.co/QL7AbF53yQ — 1 day 7 hours ago
- RT @ShanellaLR: Check out my article on a report that the @greenbeltca released today regarding the creation of complete/ compact c… https://t.co/Cc1ztmsQm2 — 2 days 5 hours ago
- This Canada Day the Alternatives Journal editorial team were tasked with reflecting on the nature of Canada, what i… https://t.co/qsJQcT6CHW — 2 days 6 hours ago