University of Northern British Columbia
- Biology (BSc)(co-op)
- Environmental Science (BSc)(co-op)
- Environmental Studies (BA)(co-op)
- Environmental Studies (MA)
- Forest Ecology & Management (BSc) (co-op)
- Forestry (MSc)
- Geography (BA, BSc)(co-op)
- Geography (MA, MSc)
- Global Environmental Policy (MA)
- Natural Resource Management (BSc)(co-op)
- Natural Resources & Environmental Studies (MA, MNRES, MSc, PhD)
- Natural Resources Planning (BPl)(co-op)
- Nature-based Tourism Management (BA)(co-op)
- Outdoor Recreation & Conservation (BSc) (co-op)
- Tourism (MA)
- Wildlife & Fisheries (BSc) (co-op)
Co-op option: Yes
Why Go Here?
The proportion of students enrolled in environmental programs is about 20 times the national average, and 11 out of UNBC’s 13 research chairs are involved in environmental research. The university started the third phase of their award winning Energy Initiative, the Sustainable Communities Demonstration Project in the fall of 2014. A monthly Green Coffee discussion with the UNBC President also keeps environmental initiatives on the agenda.
Oral history and archeology field school is available in First Nations studies. There are Geography field schools in South Africa and Guatemala, and Outdoor Recreation excurions to the Rocky Mountains and Antarctica. Many other programs feature field study, lab work and/or volunteer opportunities.
UNBC’s mission statement expresses its goal to serve the Northern BC region by being innovative, resourceful and responsive to community needs. Research partnerships exist with the private sector and public agencies involved in local governance, economic development and other issues. PGPIRG runs BC’s oldest campus compost program, as well as a community garden. The Green University Planning Committee (GUPC) and its many subcommittees help support all UNBC green initiatives.
Best Natural Feature Around Campus
The UNBC campus is on a hillside that backs into forestry, with wildlife and a small lake within walking distance. With the Fraser and Nechako rivers nearby, boating, walking, fishing and nature watching attracts many students.
- Could biomass be fueling out future? Watch The Great Biofuel Debate with Alexandra Scaman and Alex Goddard to learn… https://t.co/8QDTAZnhqN — 2 days 16 hours ago
- In honour of #PlasticFreeJuly take a quick read about impact of microplastics! 🌍🐠 https://t.co/wtVi4mWdEI https://t.co/QL7AbF53yQ — 3 days 19 hours ago
- RT @ShanellaLR: Check out my article on a report that the @greenbeltca released today regarding the creation of complete/ compact c… https://t.co/Cc1ztmsQm2 — 4 days 17 hours ago