University of Victoria
- Biology (BSc, MSc, PhD)(co-op)
- Biology & Earth Sciences (BSc)(co-op)
- Chemistry & Earth Sciences (BSc)(co-op)
- Earth and Ocean Sciences (MSc, PhD) (co-op)
- Environmental Studies (BA, BSc, MA, MSc, PhD) (co-op)
- Geography & Earth Sciences (BSc)(co-op)
- Geomatics (BEng)(co-op)
- Physics & Earth Sciences: Geophysics (Bsc) (co-op)
- Physics & Ocean Sciences: Ocean Atmosphere Dynamics (BSc) (co-op)
Co-op option: Yes
Why Go Here?
The university's Capacity Building Project hopes to achieve a sustainable food system on Vancouver Island by working with various local organizations and starting initiatives. UVic offers one of the largest co-op programs in Canada and over 200 sustainability-themed courses ranging from Environmental Studies to Business and Law. The university also offers several flexible interdisciplinary programs.
Geography offers field courses both locally and abroad. The Mountain Legacy Project investigates landscape ecology, restoration and social perspectives by studying western landscapes. Co-op, field courses, internships, community collaborations and research assistantships offered in both graduate and undergraduate programs.
The VPIRG first identified cruise ships as an environmental issue. They have an ongoing relationship with locals (including first nations), organizing projects such as the community tool shed and a community garden. The Environmental Sustainability Council (ESC) is continuing the UVision initiative to gather input from students on sustainability issues such as alternative transportation and campus food production. The ESC has also started an extensive recycling program and has phased out bottled water sales on campus entirely.
Best Natural Feature Around Campus
Mystic Vale is a protected forested area on campus covering 11.6 acres, with coniferous woodland, a ravine, and a wide variety of trees ranging up to 350-500 years old.
- RT @BaldinoRick: @AlternativesJ @BranaDane Great work Brana!✌️ — 1 day 2 hours ago
- The world of fashion may not be as glamourous as it seems. Greta Vaivadaite decided to hold a Q/A with @BranaDane o… https://t.co/zk4RlDLCCt — 1 day 2 hours ago
- And that’s a wrap for #plasticfreejuly - hopefully you took this time to minimize the plastic use in ur life, with… https://t.co/WUaaKS2l74 — 5 days 1 hour ago