University of Western Ontario
- Biology (BSc, MSc, PhD) (co-op)
- Earth Sciences (BSc, MSc, PhD)
- Environment & Sustainability (BA, BSc, MES) (co-op)
- Environmental Engineering with International Development (BeEng-BID)
- Environmental Science (BSc)
- Geography (BA, BSc, MA, MSc, PhD)
- Geology (MSc, PhD)
- Geophysics (MSc, PhD)
- Green Process Engineering (BEng) (co-op)
Co-op option: Yes
Why Go Here?
UWO received an Environmental Leadership Award from the London Chamber of Commerce in 2012 for its green buildings, energy reductions and enhanced transportation. Western has one LEED gold certified building and two that are silver certified, along with as seven other buildings being registered for certification. The CMLP building is a model of green building technology and acts as a research tool for students.
The Green Process Engineering program is the first of its kind in Canada, focusing on the design of products and processes that are both economical and environmentally friendly. Biology and Geography students can take advantage of numerous field courses at home and abroad, ranging from two to four weeks. Undergraduate science students can participate in an internship between their 3rd and 4th years, an 8 to 16 monthwork placement for a level of experience that cannot be given on campus. The one year Master's in Environment and Sustainability program (MES) is an interdisciplinary program that includes a 4-month co-op placement.
EnviroWestern is a student organization that coordinates a range of environmental campaigns. Purple Bikes is a non-profit cycling co-operative, providing bicycle rentals and a maintenance workshop for students and the community. SunStang is an alternative energy vehicle project based at UWO.
Best Natural Feature
Western's campus is set along the Thames River, with lovely landscaping and a number of paths for walking or biking.
- In honour of #PlasticFreeJuly take a quick read about impact of microplastics! 🌍🐠 https://t.co/wtVi4mWdEI https://t.co/QL7AbF53yQ — 1 day 8 hours ago
- RT @ShanellaLR: Check out my article on a report that the @greenbeltca released today regarding the creation of complete/ compact c… https://t.co/Cc1ztmsQm2 — 2 days 6 hours ago
- This Canada Day the Alternatives Journal editorial team were tasked with reflecting on the nature of Canada, what i… https://t.co/qsJQcT6CHW — 2 days 7 hours ago