The energy generated by the Earth Month Youth Forum, presented by Earth Day Canada and the Royal Ontario Museum (ROM), was absolutely contagious. It was uplifting to meet youth choosing to spend their Saturday learning about environmental activism.
The hands-on workshops equipped participants with skills to bring about real environmental change. Host Simon Jackson shared his experience gained from founding Spirit Bear Youth Coalition, the largest youth-run environmental organization in the world. This wove together the different components of the forum. The inspiring keynotes delivered by Roberta Bondar and Sebastião Salgado further drove the need for action, complementing the workshops.
“My favourite part was hearing the mentors speak about their journey and how we can incorporate that into our daily lives,” explained one of the participants. An educator attending the environmental education workshops said he chose to attend the forum to learn how to better communicate environmental messages, which he found to be challenging given that it wasn’t part of his formal education and upbringing. The managing director of the ROM’s Centre of Discovery in Biodiversity, David Ireland, clearly struck the right note as he exclaimed early in the forum, “There are more stories to be told than there are great storytellers.”
It was a pleasure to meet young environmental leaders and to see them supporting and learning from one another, creating invaluable networks. There’s no doubting that these 250 voices emerged, stronger, louder.
- A\J Editorial Board (17) A\J Editorial Board
- A\J Special Delivery (147) A\J Special Delivery
- Backstage at A\J (81) Backstage at A\J
- Current Events (208) Current Events
- EcoLogic (5) EcoLogic
- Food and Culture (22) Food and Culture
- Green Living (30) Green Living
- Made in Canada (20) Made in Canada
- Renewable Energy (52) Renewable Energy
- Shades of Green (10) Shades of Green
- Summer Reading Series (7) Summer Reading Series
- Sustainable A\J (54) Sustainable A\J
- The Green Student (18) The Green Student
- The Mouthful (14) The Mouthful
- The Wild Side (34) The Wild Side
- Think Global (11) Think Global
Popular on A\J
- From EATING AROUND THE WORLD article: "The long road to sustainability requires rebuilding our communities, and a g… https://t.co/gLTuZ7Rvu5 — 1 week 1 day ago
- A Valentine's Day (and every day) message from Jane Goodall: "Let us replace impatience and intolerance with unders… https://t.co/1WGML2toyK — 1 week 1 day ago
- For Valentine's Day: https://t.co/exvDzE2LQf — 1 week 1 day ago