University of Prince Edward Island
- Biology (BSc)
- Environmental Sciences (MSc, PhD)
- Environmental Studies (BA, BSc) (co-op)
- Island Studies (BA, MAIS)
- Wildlife Conservation (BWC)
Co-op option: No
Why Go Here?
UPEI's small size encourages close interaction between faculty and students. Courses aim for a balance between theory and real-world experience. The campus' close connection with the island community gives students many opportunities to get involved in sustainable community initiatives. The school recieved the 2012 APPA Sustainability Award in the Small Colleges and Universities Institutions category.
Many programs emphasize interdisciplinary knowledge integration. The Bachelor of Wildlife Conservation is NAWTA accredited and combines practical, theoretical and analytical learning with a strong field component. Biology offers lab and field courses in coastal ecology. Environmental Studies students participate in field courses, public forums and internships. Diverse ecosystems are accessible within a 20-minute to 1-hour drive from campus.
Campus initiatives include a transition to LED lights, improvements to the waste collection system and adoption of a green cleaning program. The campus is associated with a solid waste recycling system is used to produce electricity. The Charlottetown Farmer's Market is also near campus.
Best Natural Feature
Campus is only a few minutes from the Atlantic Ocean and the coastal dune stystem. The Central Quadrangle on campus is an ideal space for socializing, relaxing or studying.
- In honour of #PlasticFreeJuly take a quick read about impact of microplastics! 🌍🐠 https://t.co/wtVi4mWdEI https://t.co/QL7AbF53yQ — 1 day 8 hours ago
- RT @ShanellaLR: Check out my article on a report that the @greenbeltca released today regarding the creation of complete/ compact c… https://t.co/Cc1ztmsQm2 — 2 days 6 hours ago
- This Canada Day the Alternatives Journal editorial team were tasked with reflecting on the nature of Canada, what i… https://t.co/qsJQcT6CHW — 2 days 7 hours ago