A\J, or Alternatives Journal, is Canada’s Environmental Voice, delivering the latest news and ideas about national and global environmental issues. Featuring thoughtful analysis by the nation’s foremost environmental thinkers, plus profiles of inspiring environmental leaders and sustainable living ideas to steal, A\J offers both a vision of a more sustainable future and the tools needed to take us there.
Articles are carefully edited by an experienced editorial team, with the Editorial Board to helping to design each issue. All articles are vigorously fact-checked, and feature stories are peer reviewed by experts in the field. A\J successfully walks the line between a popular, but intelligent, consumer magazine and an academic journal.
You can help us continue to report on important environmental stories and advocate for a greener, healthier tomorrow by making a donation to A\J today.
Meet the A\J Team!
Behind the scenes at the A\J office, you'll find nine staff members and up to a dozen full- or part-time interns. We also rely on the guidance and support of our Board of Directors, Editorial Board, Research Advisors and Contributing Editors, and estimate that each issue involves the unpaid or nominally paid assistance of over 40 writers, photographers, proofreaders, peer-reviewers, graphic artists and fact checkers. For a list of past contributors to Alternatives Journal, visit the Author Directory.
Sign up for A\J Updates
To get monthly updates from A\J about the latest stories, upcoming events, special offers, and sneak peeks at upcoming articles, subscribe to our e-newsletter. We take your privacy very seriously and will not sell or share your contact information.
A\J is a proud winner of a 2012 Ancient Forest Friendly Award from Canopy. Thanks to Canopy for the hard work they do to protect the world's forests, species and climate.
Looking to get involved?
To submit a visual portfolio for consideration or to send a query related to photography or illustration, please contact A\J’s creative director, Marcia Ruby.
If you are a driven, enthusiastic student looking to assist our team in creating, marketing and distributing A\J to Canada and abroad, for more information, or if you're looking to become a permanent member of the team, see our Job Opportunities & Internships
If you're looking to advertise in Alternatives Journal or on our website, please visit our Advertising page to download a Media Kit.
Any other questions or concerns? Contact Us.
A\J's Mission Statement
A\J’s editorial mission is to be “Canada’s Environmental Voice” by providing a forum for civilized debate and, when appropriate, to advocate for positive and sustainable solutions.
Our mandate is to:
- Provide critical and informed analysis of environmental issues
- Promote an understanding of “environment” in the broadest sense of the word, including social and political dimensions of environments
- Reflect a Canadian perspective informed by an understanding of global issues
- Stimulate dialogue and exchange of information among environmental activists, academics and professionals
- Create a publishing opportunity for Canadian scholars and professionals
- 37 years of oil spills in Alberta – every spill of crude oil, crude bitumen & synthetic crude since '75 http://t.co/h34jArmYiI @globaltvnews — 1 hour 20 min ago
- Keep spiders and other bugs away with baking soda! More tips for chemical-free insect control at A\J: http://t.co/pwEYRG6SkG — 2 hours 51 min ago
- RT @WhenWeDrift: Artist Jason deCaires Taylor's underwater sculptures offer a new take on eco-tourism via @alternativesj http://t.co/gkYeiN… — 5 hours 48 min ago