This November, fashion industry leaders from around the globe will gather in Toronto with one goal in mind: sustainability. The World Ethical Apparel Roundtable (WEAR), to be held November 3rd and 4th at Evergreen Brick Works in Toronto, is the first of its kind in Canada.
Presented by Fashion Takes Action (Canada’s leading organization in the sustainable fashion movement) the conference is an opportunity to network and share experiences, focusing on social-, environmental- and business-related sustainability in the fashion industry.
“There is an industry shift underway in our understanding of ethical practices, sustainability and the fair treatment of industry workers,” says FTA board member Michael Levergne, “and gaining a better understanding of leading international practices is what this event is all about.”
The two-day conference will address current global challenges as well as the development and implementation of progressive solutions within the industry. Main issues discussed will include social equity, environmental impacts and responsible business practice.
The agenda includes keynote speakers Ian Spaulding of Elevate Global Limited, Tom Smith of Sedex Global, and Connie Ulasewicz of San Francisco State University. Panel discussions on social and environmental challenges will be held with representatives from a variety of organizations, including H&M Canada, Made In A Free World, and Me to We Style. Catering will be provided by the local and sustainable Café Belong.
WEAR welcomes anyone employed in the fashion industry and any business with an interest in corporate social responsibility. Attendees range from major brand names to smaller retailers, suppliers, designers, PR representatives, other non-profit organizations and academia.
The conference’s overarching goal is collaboration, bringing thinkers and leaders together to build a sustainable future. We all play a role in fair trade, global relations, and ethical consumerism. WEAR is moving the fashion industry one step closer to a more positive global impact.
Learn more about Fashion Takes Action and how you can get involved.
- A\J Editorial Board (16) A\J Editorial Board
- A\J Special Delivery (142) A\J Special Delivery
- Backstage at A\J (81) Backstage at A\J
- Current Events (203) Current Events
- EcoLogic (5) EcoLogic
- Food and Culture (21) Food and Culture
- Green Living (29) Green Living
- Made in Canada (20) Made in Canada
- Renewable Energy (52) Renewable Energy
- Shades of Green (10) Shades of Green
- Summer Reading Series (7) Summer Reading Series
- Sustainable A\J (54) Sustainable A\J
- The Green Student (18) The Green Student
- The Mouthful (14) The Mouthful
- The Wild Side (34) The Wild Side
- Think Global (11) Think Global
Popular on A\J
- From Environmental (Soul) Print: "Islamic Cosmology = we are not the centre of the Universe” Read more... https://t.co/Be4bfNVifu — 41 weeks 2 days ago
- Call for submissions deadline is January 13th to the May 2017 International In-Situ Thermal Treatment symposium. https://t.co/4tb6iRJ2rZ — 41 weeks 3 days ago
- Interview with Michael Engelhard, author of 'Ice Bear: The Cultural History of an Arctic Icon' https://t.co/1ypJfReqIf — 41 weeks 3 days ago